Why a peoples’ plan for the Olympics?
In July 2021 it was announced that Brisbane would be the host of the 2032 Olympics. While this has brought much excitement to some businesses and people in the region, there are also a wide range of concerns held by many people in Brisbane and across South East Queensland (SEQ) about the environmental, social and financial impacts of hosting the Olympics.
Regen Brisbane is a network of individuals and organisations interested in supporting the transition of Brisbane towards a regenerative city. Regen Brisbane is made up of volunteers from various professions and groups around Brisbane. This group is volunteering to host a series of discussions and events in Brisbane during 2023 and 2024, to draw together peoples’ views and suggestions about how Brisbane and SEQ can best manage the Olympic Games, to ensure good environmental, social and economic impacts.
You can find more information on the background of the Brisbane 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games here.
What will a ‘Peoples Plan’ for the 2032 Olympics look like?
Our goal will be to bring people together during 2023/2024 (in person and online) to share concerns, ideas and suggestions about the Olympics, so we can create two main things:
- The Peoples Plan
- The Peoples Plan will be a comprehensive written report summarizing all information and suggestions gathered, which will be presented to government agencies and other stakeholders in 2024.
- If resources permit, Regen Brisbane will revisit the Peoples Plan in 2025, and host a range of further community based meetings, workshops and processes to track progress and bring further perspectives together.
- A Peoples’ Plan live public website (commencing in mid 2023), which will share:
- Public maps and other information and plans about the Olympics
- Outcomes from all community meetings, workshops and discussions about the OIympics
- Results from surveys conducted by Regen Brisbane across people within SEQ
- Peoples’ ideas, concerns and alternative visions for the Olympics
How can you get involved?
- Sign up to our newsletter
- Join the Regen Brisbane facebook page
- Register to attend one of the free workshops that will be held during 2023/2024 [Registrations will open soon]
- Email us with your thoughts, ideas, concerns, suggestions
- Email us to request a workshop in your community
Community meetings and workshops
A range of community meetings and workshops are currently being planned. Details will be shared on this page as key dates become available.
Current plans are as follows:
West End and South Brisbane
- Initial meetings with community groups in West End and South Brisbane in early May
- Public workshops for West End and South Brisbane in early June
- Initial meetings with community groups in Hamilton in May
- Public workshop 1, scheduled for 10 June, Hamilton Town Hall (details available soon)
- Initial meetings with community groups in Redlands in June
- Public workshop scheduled for 1 July
More details will be available soon
Contact Regen Brisbane
- If you have any questions, please email: email@example.com
- Join our Regen Brisbane mailing list here
- Join our Regen Brisbane Facebook group page
- Visit our Regen Brisbane Instagram page